It’s all COVID, all the time

I have been making face masks like they are going out of style. I’m using the pattern from The Crafty Quilter, which I have enjoyed. Some fit better than others, despite using the same pattern, so goodness knows what I’m doing differently on them. The only problem I have is that sometimes on some of them, the nose slips. But this is a common issue with many masks (it seems), and I suspect it is because I am using elastic cording to go around my ears and not behind my head (it is too hard to get elastic to use that much on each mask, so I use the least amount to conserve). It seems like this is going to be a long-term need, so I figure I should have a stockpile for myself, my family, friends, etc.

I can’t remember if I said, but we had planned to go to Disneyland in April. In March, we rescheduled our trip to September because at that time, it looked like things might be open in September. Now, I am nearly certain we will have to fully cancel our trip. My main concern is if we will get our money back from Disney tickets, Universal tickets, the train, and the plane. The Disney tickets we have are valid through January 2021, but we wouldn’t be able to go during the fall/winter, and so far, the Disneyland site doesn’t have any provisions for extending multi-day tickets. Perhaps that will change. But we’ve put out about $2,000 on all that, so… It’d be great if we could get it back. Or if we could have the credits/tickets without expiration dates so that we could go someday when things look more normal.

My wife and I are lucky enough to both be essential workers and to not have to worry about losing our jobs. She works from home, and I go into work. But at least we are both able to work. We also traded her car in for a 2015 Mazda CX-5 (only 26k miles!) in preparation for someday having kids around and needing more room. It feels weird to make a purchase like that in the middle of this crisis, but since we have steady jobs and have been planning for a car purchase, we went ahead and did it. Let me tell you, this is a nice car. It feels so fancy.

Speaking of kids – still no idea as to when we might start fostering/doing respite. We’ve been waiting a bit until things open more – maybe Phase Two? At some point, we’re just going to have to bite the bullet. However, without childcare or school available, it won’t be possible for us to do regular fostering, so that’s a thing. I don’t know how parents are managing all this, especially if they both have to work.

That to say, it’s time to wake my wife up for our weekly early morning grocery store trip.

Stay safe!


Okay, so I did not present my new boss with my idea. I did sketch it out and get a detailed plan as to how I might. But I did not. I realized it’s a bit premature of an idea to present to a man who wants to cut costs, not incur them.

Unfortunately, he also wants to somehow combine his team at the other facility with ours. And I’ve only heard they are hot messes. I am not going to farm out my beautifully clean work to people who do not know what they are doing. Oh, no. I can do more than I think. And that is my idea. To do more and to not worry about it. I have great capacity to get things done.

You may have heard of a little thing called COVID-19, aka the Coronavirus? We are at the epicenter of the outbreak in the US. I don’t normally say much about where I live or those details, but I’m in the Seattle metro area. And I work in nursing home (no COVID-19 cases yet). And my wife is on two immunosuppressant drugs. Life has gotten a bit weird here.

We are not stockpiling anything. But I do worry that when we run out of something, we don’t be able to buy it. Hopefully things get back in stock. Neither of us can work from home, so we’re both going in every day. And we’re just being cautious.

We’re supposed to go to Disneyland next month. We have been planning this trip for about 8 months. I have everything booked – even down to a reservation for dinner for Fantastmic so we can watch from a terrace while sitting. But Disneyland is closed through the end of this month. And it may close for longer. Plus, with our governor’s response to the panic, I am just daily waiting for him to close the borders to/from Washington. (Or for Trump to do the same.) We haven’t canceled yet – we are going to wait until the bitter end – but we expect that we will have to cancel. If so, we intend to reschedule for September. More waiting, but that’s the soonest we could feasibly go.

You guys, this thing is nuts.