It looks like things with the house are not going to go as hoped. Apparently, T’s ex’s lender somehow (despite T not being on the application) didn’t realize that T was not going to stay on the loan (wtf), so it has to go into underwriting again. This is after two months. It looks like they will simply sell instead.
Which is all fine and good, especially because it is almost for certain that T will get more money from selling. Except that the house won’t be listed until April at the earliest (if her ex doesn’t drag her feet). That means it likely won’t be sold/settled until end of May. That means we can’t get started on any house hunting until around May, which is when the housing market really starts getting competitive. We can’t afford to be competitive. We can’t offer more than asking. We can barely afford asking. Not just that, but we’d likely not be in a house until July or August at the earliest. That’s months from now to continue living so far apart.
So I told T that I think we should just try to rent. She doesn’t want to rent long term, but I’m trying to get her to understand that we’ll likely be priced out of the market by next year. We’re almost priced out as it is, and the market is only predicted to continue going up. Our salaries are not going to pick up comparably. She doesn’t like this, neither do I, but I can’t see anyway around it, other than intending to be long-term renters, or to move to a cheaper area.
This whole situation has already caused too many fights, and I can see why someone wouldn’t want to get involved with a person who still owned property with an ex. I’m not saying I’m not still glad I’m with T, but it’s so incredibly frustrating to have our future depend on her ex. I’m supposed to simply put my life on hold because of her stupid, fucking ex.
I just want to move forward.